Cruciferous flea: how to fight, folk remedies, drugs, cabbage
Cruciferous flea (Phyllotreta crusiferae), or cabbage flea is an insect that belongs to the type of earthen fleas of the subfamily of the Booger family of leaf beetle beetles. In nature, you can meet such an insect in the Caucasus, Turkey, Europe, Central Asia, and also in the Mediterranean region. Both adults and larvae eat foliage of the representatives of the Cruciferous (Cabbage) family, namely radish, horseradish, turnip, all types of cabbage, colza, radish, daikon and rutabaga.
Cruciferous flea features
The cruciferous flea is a harmful insect and represents a flying bug, which can reach 0.15–0.3 cm in length. The body shape is oval-oblong. There are also antennae, which in length reach no more than 1/3 of the length of the body. The bug has hind legs hopping.
Types of cabbage fleas differ among themselves by the color of the elytra, which can be striped, black or with a metallic tint. The larvae of such an insect eat thin roots in plants. The most harm to garden crops is caused by such cruciferous flea species as: blue, notched, wavy, light-footed and black flea.
How to deal with a flea in the garden
Flea on the cabbage
The cruciferous flea can settle on cabbage after the air on the street warms up to 15 degrees. In order not to freeze in winter, the pest hides under plant debris or in the upper soil layer. An insect damages all cabbage plants the same way, it can look like skeletonization, ulcerative gnawing, or like inter-vein gnawing. Those leaf plates that are very badly damaged begin to dry, and then die off, and over time the plant itself begins to die.
Can a cruciferous flea harm the early stages of cabbage development? Insects injure the surface of foliage and shoots due to which sores appear, which then become holes. Because of this, yellowing of the foliage begins. Injured seedlings can die in just a few days, especially if the weather is very warm. As soon as the bugs are detected, they must immediately begin an active struggle.
How to save cabbage? That cabbage, which belongs to early ripening varieties, is recommended to be processed exclusively with folk remedies, since they do not contain substances hazardous to humans. So, once a week, the bushes should be sprayed with infusion of tobacco or wood ash, a solution of vinegar or a decoction of tomato tops. And late and mid-season cabbage varieties can be sprayed with special chemicals, for example: Actellik, Karate, Aktara, Decis or Bankol.
The bugs that settled on the radish, on the radish or on other representatives of the Cruciferous family can also do much harm to them. The fact is that if the foliage is injured, the root crop will lose nutrition. The fight should begin immediately after the first pests are discovered. In order to get rid of them completely, you will need to carry out several sprayings.
Watch this video on YouTube
Fleas on other crops
Cabbage flea can harm both cruciferous and other crops. She can also injure left-handed, roses and chrysanthemums. How to save flowers from a cruciferous flea? To control pests, you can use the same drugs as when processing cruciferous crops. However, in this case, insecticides can be used without fear.
They process any crops from fleas in the evening when the sun sets, at this time pests are on the surface of the foliage.
In the fight against cabbage flea, the following insecticides are most popular among summer residents:
- Aktara. This is a systemic insecticidal preparation of contact-intestinal action, which can cope with a large number of various harmful insects, including lurking and sucking.
- Actellic. Organophosphorus non-systemic insecticide and acaricidal preparation of contact-intestinal action, which is used in the fight against leaf-eating and sucking harmful insects.
- Karate. Contact-system combined insecticidal agent, with which they fight sucking and gnawing pests.
- Bankol. This is an insecticidal preparation of contact-intestinal action, which destroys sucking and gnawing harmful insects.
- Decis. Contact-intestinal insecticidal agent of a wide spectrum from the group of pyrethroids. It effectively fights Lepidoptera, Coleoptera, and Equine-winged harmful insects.
In addition to these drugs, Inta-Vir, Mospilan, Fitoverm and other similar actions can be used.
Watch this video on YouTube
Vegetables affected by the cruciferous flea, spraying with chemical preparations is recommended only as a last resort, because they include poisons that are dangerous both for humans and for beneficial insects. Instead of chemistry, experienced gardeners advise using folk remedies that are not only safe, but also quite effective.
Most often, summer residents use the following effective folk remedies in the fight against pest:
- Seedlings immediately after transplanting into open ground must be dusted with wood ash, and for this you can use tobacco dust combined with ash (1: 1). Pollination is carried out on a calm, calm day, and there should be no rain in the near future after treatment. This procedure is carried out three times with an interval of 4 or 5 days. After pollination on all leaves, both surfaces should be covered with the composition.
- Vegetables should be sprayed with a decoction made from tomato tops: combine 2 kg of dry or 4 kg of fresh tops with a bucket of cold water, wait four hours and boil the mixture over low heat for 30 minutes. The cooled and filtered broth is combined with water in a ratio of 1: 1 and with grinded or liquid soap, taken in an amount of 40 grams. The composition of the bushes is treated three times with an interval of three or four days.
- Pass through a meat grinder 1 tbsp. garlic and the same amount of tomato tops. The resulting mass is poured into a bucket of lukewarm water. Mix well and strain. One large spoon of liquid soap is poured into the resulting product, after which the bushes are sprayed with the resulting product.
- 500 g of roots and foliage of a dandelion are connected to a bucket of water, do not forget to chop them beforehand. Mix well and strain it. Pour a little liquid soap into it before processing.
- A bucket of water is combined with a pair of glasses of wood ash. The mixture should be infused for two days, after which it is carefully drained and dissolved in the resulting product ¼ part of the bar of tar soap, which is pre-ground on a grater.
- 10 liters of hot water are combined with 0.2 kg of tobacco dust. The cooled and filtered infusion is combined with one large spoon of dishwashing liquid or liquid soap.
- 10 liters of water are combined with 2 large tablespoons of vinegar essence or 1 tbsp. vinegar (9%). Spray the foliage with a well-mixed solution.
- A couple of liters of water is combined with 1 kg of finely chopped wormwood. The mixture is boiled over low heat for 10-15 minutes. Chilled broth is mixed with 100 grams of chopped garlic and filtered. The amount of funds obtained is adjusted with pure water to 10 liters.
- 5 liters of water are combined with 2 kilograms of potato tops and boiled on low heat for half an hour. The cooled broth is filtered and diluted twice with water. Processing is carried out in the evening.
- Prepare an infusion of chicken manure in a ratio of 1:20. It is kept for seven days in the open air, after which it is filtered and you can start processing.This infusion will not only scare off fleas, but also become a source of nitrogen for plants.
- Half a bucket of water is combined with one tablespoon of flea medication (sold at the pet store). The resulting solution is sprayed with bushes.
- A flag is made from cardboard or thin plywood, both surfaces of which are covered with solid or resin. Walk several times along the rows with plants on which fleas settled, do not forget to wave the flag and touch the foliage. Frightened pests will start jumping, and most of them will stick to the flag.
- Take a few pieces of cloth and soak them in used automotive or diesel oil. Distribute them on sheets of cardboard between the aisles in the beds, while the distance between them should be about four meters. After two or three days, you need to turn the fabric over to the other side, so you can collect a lot more pests.
Watch this video on YouTube
How to carry out preventive treatments
Experts advise it is better to prevent the appearance of a cabbage flea on the site than to try to get rid of it. Preventive measures:
- After the seedlings are transplanted into the open ground, it is covered with non-woven material. After the seedlings get stronger, their foliage will become coarser and it will no longer attract fleas. At this time, it will already be possible to remove the shelter.
- The smell of coriander, dill and garlic discourages this pest, so it is recommended to grow cabbage next to them. When growing late varieties of cruciferous crops, you can protect them from such a harmful insect using mixed plantings with nasturtium, marigolds or calendula.
- Every day in the aisles on the beds you need to put freshly wormwood.
- In water intended for irrigation, you need to pour 10-15 drops per bucket of such aromatic products as: tincture of valerian, corvalol, pine or fir oil.
Also, to prevent the appearance of a cruciferous flea on the site, some agricultural rules will help:
- To systematically tear out weed grass, since a cruciferous flea likes to settle on it.
- In the autumn, when the harvest will be harvested, they dig the soil in the garden.
- Water and fertilize plants in time, thanks to which they will grow stronger faster, grow up and become less attractive to the pest.
- Planting crops is recommended as early as possible, while this harmful insect has not awakened. Also, seedlings can be planted in the last days of June, when the flea is already not too scary for her.
Watch this video on YouTube