Garden treatment with vitriol in spring and autumn
In a specialized store you can buy a variety of drugs, the main task of which is to protect fruit trees from a variety of diseases and pests. However, far from each of these tools is highly effective and often has an inadequate cost. In this regard, experienced gardeners are advised to use for this purpose a time-tested drug - iron sulfate.
Iron sulfate - what is it?
Iron sulfate has another chemical name - iron sulfate. It is quite popular among gardeners and has been used in gardening for many years. Externally, this tool looks like a crystalline powder, painted in a pale green color. At the same time, the concentration of the main active ingredient is within 53 percent.
This tool is inherently a salt formed by the interaction of ferrous iron and sulfuric acid. This substance is crystalline hydrate, and all because each of its molecules combines with 7 water molecules.
What is it used for?
This tool is a favorite among gardeners with experience. And the iron sulfate owes its popularity to the fact that its effect is quite wide, and also it has a low price.
In gardening, this drug is used for the following purposes:
- Spring and autumn whitewashing of the surface of tree trunks growing in the garden.
- To get rid of lichen, moss and other diseases caused by a fungus.
- For the processing of grapes as a preventive measure against a variety of diseases.
- To eliminate black spotting roses.
- To strengthen trees that are already old enough.
- For the destruction of harmful insects.
- They can heal the wounds available on the trunks of fruit orchard crops.
- In order to saturate the soil with iron.
This tool is used not only in gardening, so it is able to cope with the fungus present on the surface of the walls of the house or premises where vegetables are stored.
Spraying with 5% solution, iron sulfate. Preparing a garden, grapes for the winter
Watch this video on YouTube
Features of use
This drug can be used to process horticultural crops only 2 times per season, namely: at the beginning of the spring period and in the fall.
Young trees should be processed only at the beginning of spring, before the buds open, while old specimens need to be repeated in the autumn.
Important! Iron sulfate is not mixed with lime (this is done only with copper sulfate).
For different purposes, the strength of the solution may vary:
- For the destruction of fungal diseases in fruit crops in early spring, a five percent solution is suitable.
- For preventive purposes, only a 0.5-1% solution is used.
- For spraying roses, a 0.3 percent mixture is used.
- For processing berry bushes, a four percent solution is suitable.
- In autumn, plants are sprayed with a seven percent solution.
On young trees, the bark is not as thick as on old ones; therefore, the solution used to process them should be less saturated. You should definitely pay attention to this, especially if the garden is cultivated 2 times per season.
Advantages and disadvantages
This tool, like everyone else, has its advantages and disadvantages.
- differs in wide impact;
- low cost;
- for a person it poses a low risk when exposed externally, as it is low toxic (if a highly concentrated product gets on the mucous membranes or skin, then it just needs to be washed off with a stream of water, and then there will be no damage);
- highly effective in combating fungal diseases;
- differs in external influence, does not get into a plant.
By cons include:
- in the fight against harmful insects it is ineffective (for their complete elimination additional preparations will be needed);
- it can be used only at the beginning of the spring period (before the buds open) and after the leaves fall, the fact is that such a drug can damage leaf plates and young shoots;
- it is quickly washed off by rain, after spraying it begins to act after a couple of hours, however, the maximum effect is achieved only after 24 hours, so if it is raining outside, you will have to spray the tree several times.
If the garden is treated with iron sulfate incorrectly, then this will negatively affect its condition.In this regard, before starting processing, it is very important to carefully study the instructions supplied with the tool.
Spring burning treatment with vitriol (LC)
Watch this video on YouTube